I’m about 2 weeks away from having this kiddo (eeek!), and I was feeling bad for neglecting Stride & Joy as it was such a big part of my life over the past couple of years. I fully intend that it will be again, but for now running has taken a backseat to teeny tiny clothes and trying not to go insane finishing things up at work. (Running is still a massive part of Hubby’s life, so I am living vicariously through him, but it’s not quite the same. Although part of me is grateful to be spending much less time sitting in parking lots.)
I am not planning on writing much about babies/parenthood once the big event happens as there are about a gazillion blogs that do that way better than I ever could, but I was on the train the other morning thinking about the past nine months, and I figured one preggers post would be OK. So, here goes …
The best and worst things I discovered about being pregnant
1. I can finally take that seat on the train right next to the door (you know the one) without feeling like I am going to get hairy-eyeballed by a little old lady.
2. I can enjoy watching my belly expand without worrying that it’s from too many dirty gin martinis.
3. I can claim a really, really good reason for only being able to run two miles of a half-marathon. (My usual reason is lame.)
4. I can spend inordinate amounts of time online looking up things like “breast pump bags that aren’t completely hideous” and “baby wall art that doesn’t make me want to barf” without feeling as though I am wasting my life on the internets.
5. My hair is awesome. I know it’s about to all fall out, but I’ll take it for now.
6. People are amazingly, astoundingly generous.
1. I rarely get that aforementioned seat on the train because no one stands up. I can count the number of people who have given up a seat for me (or tried to) on one and a half hands. (Granted, I have been wearing a giant puffy jacket that until about two months ago revealed little unless I turned sideways. But still.)
2. The puffy jacket. It must be the least unflattering item of clothing I have ever put on my person. And I have spent a decent amount of time in running tights with shorts over the top.
3. I have been told that I am tiny. I have been told that I am big. I wish people would make up their minds. Or better yet, just stop commenting on my size. I don’t tell you you’re having a fat day.
4. I am at my sleepiest at 3.30 in the afternoon, which of course always seems to be just before a big meeting.
5. It takes me twice as long to walk anywhere right now, not because I am having to waddle—although that is true—but because I am so worried about slipping on the dang ice (it’s happened twice). No one can tell from behind that I’m preggers, so people get peeved when they get stuck behind me on the sidewalk in between impassable snow banks (I’ve heard the harrumphs). If I had a do-over, I’d make a sign and stick it on my back: “I’m this slow because I’m walking for two.”
That’s all for now. Wish me luck!
Sending prayers your way for an easy labor and a healthy baby!! Congratulations in advance, Tracey and Andrew.
I really, really, really miss reading your blogs. I’d even be willing to read about baby stuff. hahaha On a serious note, good luck with an easy labor and a healthy baby. Congrats and we’ll all be here waiting eagerly on the other side. Oh, and one last thing, AWESOME blog post today! :):)
Pretty soon you will be finding strands (or sometimes clumps) of your hair in odd places, like in the baby’s diaper or its mouth. Looking forward to lots of cuddles with Baby S&J!
I would also read baby stuff! But I know what you mean. Look forward to hear about you running again, and all the very best with the next few months. It’s a cliche, but it really really does go so fast. xxx
Wishing you luck, and a most wonderful and joyful time ahead! You’re well prepared for birth, a marathon in itself. My best wishes!
That you for the comment about your hair. It looked so pretty when I last saw you. Pretty hair, pretty you, and soon-to-be pretty mommy.
I wish you the best of luck!!! Can’t wait to see pictures! 🙂
All the best S&J. Can’t wait for the posts about the jogging stroller?!?
I’ve been thinking of you, missing your post and hope all is going well!
Thanks so much! We’re hanging in there. Hope to be blogging again soon! 🙂
I so can’t wait!!! Although I do understand that having a little one does take up a bit of your time. 😉 Really wishing you well.